Friday, October 8, 2010

Problems with DNS

I had a terrible problems with setting a DNS on OpenSuse. Eventually I solve the problem.

I tried to modify /etc/resolve.conf (doesn't matter)

Eventually, what worked:
yast -> network settings

Tab: global options: seletected: user controlled with networkedmanager
checked enabled ipv6
tab: hostname/DNS was the key
hostname: sartorius
domain name: site

the key think was that I checked assigned hostname to loopback Ip

and then it worked. I wasted almost 2 hours to figure it out. I knew that other protocols worked e.g. Skype. I could ping ip, I could not ping names.
But that was a nightmare

1 comment:

Magda said...

Actually, at the university I had to switch to the traditional mode.

At home I have to switch to user's controlled.

That's a kind of nightmare. I thought OpenSuse is over it. But apparently not.